4 Free Ways to Switch Up Your Style Today
20160417-_MG_1720.jpg

20160417-_MG_1720

Instead of constantly shopping, here's what I'm doing to avoid breaking the bank..


20160417-_MG_1581

I'm the biggest offender of claiming, "I have nothing to wear," with a closet full of clothes; but years ago I had to learn to stop breaking the bank and focus on getting creative. So. Listen up, it's time to learn from the best.

20160417-_MG_1701

DON'T BE AFRAID TO DIY

AKA take some scissors to it. For example, with this dress, since it was a cheap item in the 20% section of my wardobe (more on that later), I had no second thoughts about making some changes of my own when I was bored of it; so I cut a slit up the thigh to add a little edge.

Other options are cropping old tees, cutting off sleeves, shredding the ends of your shorts (or pants), stressing a new rip in your jeans or dying your clothing a different color. Each piece of clothing has at least a handful of DIY options.

20160417-_MG_1732

FOLLOW THE 80:20 RULE

Quite simply, 80% of your wardrobe should be considered long-term pieces, leaving 20% free to change with the seasons.

The outfit I'm wearing is a perfect example.. these Chelsea Paris cage heels will last me season after season, but this $5 dress will serve it's purpose for a season, maybe 2, before I donate it and move onto the next. It's the right level of protection against wasteful spending with the proper amount of freedom to express yourself.

You can't stick to a diet if you aren't a little lenient.

20160417-_MG_1662

PRACTICE HIGH AND LOW

This falls in line with the 80:20 rule. Typically the 80% that staying stationary in your closet falls under the 'investment piece' category, while the 20% is saved for fast fashion, mixing and matching is the only way to go; and honestly, the average person won't spend more than $10 on a white tee that will inevitably get dirty, and that's okay, but they will spend $450 on a timeless cowhide Sophie Hulme purse that's made in Italy.

20160417-_MG_1595

DEVELOP YOUR SIGNATURE

The best way to make use of your wardrobe is by developing a signature style.

I used to be embarrassed about being 'caught' wearing the same thing twice, but these days I embrace it. If you love it, wear it. Even if that means wearing it multiple times, because it only shows you're as comfortable in your style as you are in your own skin and that's impressive.

20160417-_MG_1631

Hey Jude necklace | Imogen Belfield custom necklace | Thrifted dress | Chelsea Paris heels

Photos by Thomas Bullock